Labrador Retriever

A Family Favourite in Gold, Black, Chocolate or Silver

When you own a pet it becomes a part of your family and you want to ensure that it’s well looked after and in good health. Sadly, dogs and cats can sometimes get ticks and, if left untreated, ticks can be extremely harmful to their wellbeing.

What is a Tick?

A tick is a small insect which can be found on your pet and potentially lay thousands of eggs. Although other animals have developed immunity to them, dogs and cats have not. If your dog has ticks then it can cause significant harm and in some cases blood poisoning.

What are the Symptoms of Tick Poisoning?

When your beloved pet is suffering from tick poisoning there are of course signs that you’ll notice. The dog will have a different bark and will be weaker than usual. In some cases it may even vomit if it’s very bad. As it becomes more serious, you’ll find that your dog pants and may end up with loud breathing. In the worst cases it’s possible your dog will be unable to stand and will be very weak.

Cats have stronger resistance to ticks but will generally suffer from the same symptoms when they’re affected by ticks. In extreme cases, you cat could end up paralysed. It’s even worse when your kitten has a tick. The blood poisoning effect can be even worse and in some cases, for kittens, can be fatal after just a few days without treatment.

What to Do if Your Cat or Dog Has a Tick?

There are steps you can take to help your pet return to health if they are attacked by a tick. The most important thing is that you act quickly!

Firstly, if you can identify the place where your cat or dog has been bitten then grab the tick where it will feed onto the skin. This is best done with tweezers. When trying to remove the tick from your pet, it is important that you not yank or twist the tick as this could result in a portion of the tick remaining attached to your cat or dog.

The other option (preferred option) is to take your pet to the vet. It’s best that you do this as soon as possible as tick poisoning can overcome your dog or cat quite quickly. The longer your cat or dog is exposed to the tick poisoning, the worst the impact will be on their health.

What to Do After You Removed the Tick From Your Pet ?

Once you’ve removed the ticks you can implement a number of strategies to prevent further infection.

Just like you would get a flea treatment which you’d give to your cat or dog in regular intervals, you can also apply a tick prevention treatment or a tick collar to protect your pet’s health.

Every pet owner knows their animal extremely well. They know the pattern of their fur, their moods, and their general personality. This is because our cats and dogs really do become family. To be safe, run a daily search for ticks and you’ll easily be able to identify any instances of ticks. The sooner you catch the ticks the better it is for your cat or dog.

Most of all, look after your pet and if you notice anything unusual take them to the vet as soon as possible. Acting quickly is the best way to prevent serious complications as a result of a tick bite.